Home Business & Industrial What is a Memorandum of Authorisation?

What is a Memorandum of Authorisation?

by Peter O'brien

A Memorandum of Authorisation, or MoA, is a traffic control permit that allows a business or an organisation to install temporary traffic safety equipment on public roads. This includes barriers, traffic cones, bollards, warning lights and signage.

In order to acquire a MoA, you will need to follow the extensive application process laid out by VicRoads. The process involves determining who the road authority is, consulting a qualified traffic management company, and creating a traffic management plan.

In this blog, we’re going to discuss what exactly a Memorandum of Authority is and when it’s needed. In addition, we’ll go through the application process and discuss a few of the legal requirements that’s involved.

When do you need it?

A MoA is required if your project or event is hindering the regular flow of pedestrian and/or vehicle traffic. Common projects that require a MoA include construction sites, road works, outdoor festivals, street markets and fun runs.

If you’re unsure if your project requires a permit, it’s important that you contact your local council for more information. Other countries, states and cities may have different legal requirements for various types of commercial projects and events.

Road authorities

Depending on the road authority, you may need to acquire a different type of traffic control permit.

In Victoria, there are three major road authorities:

  • VicRoads

VicRoads generally oversees arterial roads and freeways. If you’re working on these types of pathways, you will need a MoA.

  • Local councils

Your local council is responsible for local roads within the relevant municipality. Local roads are mainly composed of low-capacity neighbourhood streets. If your project falls under this category, you will need a traffic control permit from the council.

  • Government bodies

Sometimes, a non-arterial road will be overseen by a separate government body such as the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning. In this case, you will need to contact the relevant department for permission before you can install traffic control equipment.

To determine which road authority you need to contact, please search VicRoads’ Map of Declared Roads.

If you live in another state, please visit the website of the relevant traffic authority. This would be The Roads & Traffic Authority in New South Wales and the Department of Transport and Main Roads in Queensland.

Application process

Traffic Management Plans

If you’ve determined that your chosen road is owned by VicRoads, you will need to begin the application process for a MoA.

First, you are required to consult a prequalified traffic management company (TMC) and get them to develop a traffic management plan (TMP) for your project. Working with a qualified TMC will ensure that your TMP adheres to all legal requirements. It will also ensure that the plan is designed with the safety of pedestrians, workers and motorists in mind. In addition to the TMP, you will also need to submit a Traffic Guidance Scheme as well as a Risk Assessment.

Once your application is ready to lodge, you can send the documents to vicroadsmetromoa@roads.vic.gov.au.

If you’re looking for a prequalified TMC, you can visit VicRoads’ register of prequalified contractors & consultants.

That was just a very brief summary of VicRoads’ Memorandum of Authority. If you’re a PCBU looking to conduct business on a public road, it’s important that you understand this entire process. Following all the VicRoads guidelines will not only protect you from legal trouble, but it will also ensure the safety and security of your workers as well as the safety of affected pedestrians and motorists.

Related Articles